A tip for growing strawberries to get an early crop.

Home Page Forums Hints & Tips A tip for growing strawberries to get an early crop.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin_gm
    Keymaster

Growing my own strawberries has long been one of my favourite gardening activities. I have been reasonably successful but quite often found I lost a lot of my fruit to slugs and mice. So I thought I would try something different. Having recently purchased a polytunnel I though I would try growing some plants in the tunnel. I know most professional growers grow their plants in raised bed so I thought I would give this a try. But how to create? I decided to put two robust poles in the soil along one side of the tunnel. I then purchase a length of guttering [I chose the square type] plus some caps to seal both ends. I then screwed the the guttering on to the poles and filled the guttering with compost. I then planted a number of plants along the guttering. I then placed some moss in between the plants as I thought this might help keep moisture in the compost. Over winter I kept the compost moist but did not over water. Then as spring developed so did the flowers on the strawberries and then a decent crop of strawberries. The strawberries were ready to pick about 4 weeks before the outdoor plants and I did not lose a single strawberry to mice or any other pests! A good result for little cost or effort. So I am going to add another length of guttering for next year. The attached pictures show the set up of the guttering and the planting. I hope you find this useful.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by admin_gm.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: A tip for growing strawberries to get an early crop.
Your information: